Monday, June 22, 2009

Heat Wave

I mowed the lawn today for the first time in my 26 years of life. I'm beginning to wonder now how I made it this far in life without ever performing this task...but, here I am, blogging about my first lawn-mowing experience.

I did pretty well, considering I mowed our one-acre yard with a push mower. And it was 102 degrees. And it took me 3 hours. I started out fully clothed and by the time I finished, I was in nothing but my bikini, wishing it was morally and legally acceptable to mow the lawn naked.

Also, I began brainstorming some kind of invention which would keep you cool while mowing the lawn. An air-conditioned suit? (the drawback with that one is it would prevent you from getting a tan). Some kind of backpack with a shower head of some sort extending out of it and over your head, misting you with cold water as you walk? (Appealing. but plausible? How long would the water supply last, and the pack would be awfully heavy).

ever since i finished i've had an awful headache which will not go away despite 4 ibuprofen and about 11 glasses of water. I need to go to bed.

by the way, in the future, (assuming I'll have a husband) my husband will be doing all lawn-mowing. Unless he's sick. Or it's his birthday. Or I guess he simply asks me to.

Alternatively, if i never marry and die an old maid (the more likely road my life will take) I am living in a house with no yard. who needs grass. i'll take concrete. thanks.

1 comment:

Kea333 said...

Good for you! I would never have mowed that enormous lawn in 101 heat. In my future I plan to either have a husband who will do the mowing or will pay someone to do it. I think I need the grass....