Sunday, October 21, 2007

books books books

I'm reading the book 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' by Carson McCullers. I'm about halfway through it. It's one of those books that I've always wanted to read, but never did. So I'm pretty happy that I found it for one dollar at a Goodwill shop. (Along with The Importance of Being Earnest, the Sound and the Fury, and a collection of short stories.)

However. Today I googled the title of the book because I became curious as to whether this novel had ever been adapted to film. And lo and behold........what comes up on the screen? The Heart is a Lonely Hunter...Oprah's book club selection, 2004.

Vomit. I've pretty much made a pact with myself that I would never read a book on Oprah's book club list. mainly because I cannot stand her but also because I don't enjoy the fact that 800 million people run out and read a book because she puts her 'O' stamp on it. It's so sad. And I don't want to look like one of those people who are reading a book just because Oprah told me to.

I'm so angry. I think i'm going to start researching Oprah's book selections before I decide to read a book, so I can make sure i'ts not on her list. The only problem is that most of the really good classics are on her list. Why can't she read some Stephen King or something? Go check out some Dean Koontz, Oprah. Step out of my world please.

With that said, im going to go read now.

No comments: