I'm taking a break from watching the SAG awards. Screen Actors Guild for those of you not down with the sickness. Im not usually an avid watcher of the SAGs but I am an avid watcher of the Golden Globes and the Oscars, neither of which I have the pleasure of being able to watch due to the ongoing writers' strike. Therefore i am forced to watch actors metaphorically patting themselves on the back via little charcoal-like statues which aren't cute ATALL.
but i digress. I needed a break because I just got a healthy dose of the lifetime achievement award followed by the "In Memoriam" which I fondly refer to as "The Death Video." Both left me misty-eyed (ok i cried).
The lifetime achievement awards always get me feeling a bit down, mainly because it makes me realize that no matter how awesome i turn out to be in life, no one will ever put together a highlight video of it- complete with mood music and narration -and show it to a group of people who get teary-eyed and applaud. Why do actors get this honor? Is their work more important? Do I not deserve a lifetime achievement award in 50 years for being a fantastic flight attendant (or teacher) (or mother) (or wife) (or garbageman) (or whatever i end up being)...you get the point.
The same is true with the "Death Video". I mean, obviously I'm aware people in my life will CARE when i die, of course. But why can't i have an awesomely edited video with a montage of some of my best moments. Linda pushing her bubble mower around the yard. Linda and big sis Keri reenacting their favorite scene from Babes in Toyland. Linda falling down in public. Linda's first prom. Linda embarrassing herself. I want a montage!
And I'm not being narcissistic...i just wish everyone got a montage. i wish everyone had the opportunity to receive a lifetime achievement award. Why is it that actors believe their own lives to be superior and why is it that the majority of the public believes actors' lives are of greater importance and something to aspire to? Just a thought.
And now back to the Death Video. Heath Ledger WAS included, of course. And I'm very happy to say they did not forget Brad Renfro. I was terribly afraid they would. I would have had a conniption, much like the one I had a few years ago during the Oscars' Death Video. The one which FORGOT to include Jonathan Brandis. I was steamed.
Back to the SAGs.
No comments:
Post a Comment