Sunday, July 13, 2008

You do not deserve to be a mother

Ok. yesterday on one of my flights, I'm standing in the back galley with the other flight attendant, talking, and a little girl (about 6) opens the door to the bathroom and walks in. She then looks around like she's scared and then looks at me. Thinking she didn't know what to do, I walked over to her and lifted the toilet seat and bent down and said "Do you know how to lock the door when you're inside?"

She shook her head no. So i showed her how to move the latch and then move it back to unlock it. Thinking I've remedied the situation, I return to my conversation with the other flight attendant.

Just then I feel a tug on my shirt and I turn to see the little girl looking up at me, still looking scared. She then grabs my hand and pulls me toward the bathroom with her. I walk over with her and once she's inside I bend down to her level, thinking she wants to ask me or tell me something. She then proceeds to pull me into the bathroom with her, leaving the door open and then unzipping her pants.

"WHOA WHOA WHOA. Sweetie I can't stay in here with you." I said, shocked.

This is beyond inappropriate. I immediately step out of the bathroom and begin shutting the door, leaving her inside. She pushes on it from the inside and won't let me close it. Then she tries to pull me in again.

"No hunny I can't come in."

She continues to pull on my hand, whimpering.

"Where is your mommy?" I said, bewildered.

She points down the aisle to a woman who is sitting in her seat, her head turned to look at us.

I walk down the aisle and lean down to say to the woman, "I think your daughter needs your help in the bathroom."

Rolling her eyes at me she replies, "Ugh. No. I'm not going back there."

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???????????????

Do you not see your little girl attempting to pull me into the bathroom with her and undoing her pants in front of a total stranger???? Is this normal behavior for a 6 year old?? I think not.

I walked back to the bathroom, cursing the woman who doesn't deserve to be a mother and saw that the girl was still standing there, waiting for me. She then attempted to pull me back into the bathroom and once again unzipped her pants.

"I am not staying in the bathroom with you but if you're scared we can leave the door cracked and I'll stand outside right here so nobody comes in ok?"

She shakes her head no. Then starts to pull her pants down.

I quickly shut the door, remaining outside.

And she opens it.

And I shut it.

And she opens it.

And I shut it, saying "I'll leave it open a little bit and stay right here, ok?"

"NOOOOOO!"

All the while, the mother is sitting in her seat, unworthy of having children.

Now, perhaps I could have left the door open for her. I don't know if that's something other people would have done. But it just didn't seem right to me. 6 years old is too old to be pulling your pants down in public. It's not like the bathroom is secluded from the rest of the airplane. All you'd have to do is turn your head and look down the aisle, and there she'd be, naked and peeing on the toilet. There are too many perves in the world. Plus the flight attendant I was working with was a man, and he was standing right there.

It just didn't seem right.

So, despite her protests (she started to cry) and continuous pushing on the other side of the door, i held it closed with a tiny crack while she used the bathroom. I also glared at her mother the entire time.

I also made her wash her hands.

No comments: