Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pet Peeve #209

I worked with a guy who literally cannot listen to you talk without words coming out of his own mouth. Example:

Me- "blah blah blah blah"
Him (while I'm talking)- "Oh ya? right. right right right. right on. ok. ya. uh huh. oh alright. ya. ya. yaaaa. right right. right. oh? uh huh. cool. cool. hm. ya."

OH MY GOD SHUTUP!!!!!!!!! I can't stand that! I appreciate the words of confirmation that you're listening to me, but how can you even hear what im saying when you never close your mouth?? it's so irritating! At one point I just stopped in midsentence and stared at him for a while. He just quit talking. Then when I started talking again, he went right into it again. right. right. right. ya. ya. uh huh. ok. ya? oh. ya. cool. right.

I realize sometimes I can sound quite mean, but SERIOUSLY people. How do you talk to someone like that?

I'm also totally over small talk. I can't stand it. Small talk drives me nuts. And that's ALLLLLLLLLLLLL i do in my job, because you work with different people every day of your life. So, when sitting next to a flight attendant in the jumpseat or talking to the pilots in the cockpit, I can accurately predict what the conversation is going to sound like. The same questions, all day every day. Usually in this exact sequence:

1. So, Linda. What did you do before United?
2. Oh. So why aren't you teaching now?
3. Where are you from?
4. Are you married? (If it's a woman, this is usually followed by a speech about how I should never get married because it will ruin my life. keep in mind that most flight attendants are 50+ and have been divorced 4 times. If it's a man, this is usually followed by "do you have a boyfriend" and then the good old "why not?")
5. Do you want kids?
6. You new guys have it horrible. Why are you still here?
7. Are you going to stay?
8. Do you get a lot of international?
9. I love your watch, is it antique?
10. That's from Target????

That's my life. About 2-3 times a day I have the same conversation. I'm getting to be really good at it though.

Quick AI sidenote(s)- I'll admit David Archuleta is super cute and really really good. He'll probably win it all. BUT Jason C. is still my fave. I just see longterm potential in him.

Chikezie needs to shut his mouth before Simon turns against him forever.
David Cook totally wanted to clock simon in the face last night. I could read it in his eyes.
Bride of Chucky got more chucky-liscious with her hair tonight. right on bride of chucky, right on.
My mom hates Brooke White. I think she has an unnatural amount of wrinkles for a 24 year old.


That's all I got. For now.

No comments: